Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Blackout Poetry

Found Poetry, Post 1
 
5th grade awesomeness
 
If I weren't an art teacher, I would have majored in English.  And, honestly, I probably would have taught.
 
So I love to include writing in art!  I discovered book page poetry (found poetry, blackout poetry) with this video by Miriam Poternastor. 
 
 
MY.STUDENTS.LOVED.IT
 
Last year, I left the project very open-ended.  I feel that the students had a difficult time using Miriam's method.  They couldn't find the words, they wanted the words to match the image, it was just hard!  This year, I chose to practice with the idea first.  We started with Blackout Poetry (just focusing on the words).  Here are two from that day. 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Last year, we spent less time on these but I found a unit from Teachers Pay Teachers that is all about Found Poetry and images.  I'm going to finish the unit (it should take 2-3 more class periods) with that, and in my second post I'll link it all up for you.  I can't wait to see what the students create!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment