Thursday, February 14, 2013

Klimt Trees

I have a WONDERFUL parent who sends me all kinds of trash from where she works.  She started sending me these cool, styrofoam packing pieces a while ago.  I thought I was going to have to order acrylic paint to work on them, but one day I tried my normal, CHEAP, tempera and it worked great!  Then I just had to collect enough of them for a whole grade level to use and decide what project to do.

I have always been a HUGE fan of Gustav Klimt.  I thought some swirly trees would be really dynamic.  So, we started by looking at his art and the work of contemporary artists who are obviously inspired by him.

I gave them three COOL COLOR options, and had them paint the background one solid color.  Okay, this year we actually ended up with pink b/c I accidentally ordered magenta, not purple paint.  But they still look nice.




Then I gave them red, orange, yellow, and pink paint (warm colors) to add background swirls and designs.





 Finally, we used black paint to make our swirly trees - black so it would give us more CONTRAST.  I know, there's no gold, and that is the quintessential Klimt detail.  BUT...did you know the Tree of Life was a MOSAIC and Klimt used opals and other semi-precious gemstones as part of his design?  So, instead of gemstones we used sequins and tacky glue.  So fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment